The LAUNCH project will deliver the necessary knowledge and tools to allow CO2 capture plants to operate in a more controlled and cost-efficient way. The project will also provide solvent developers with the tools to assist in designing and validating novel solvents. By avoiding uncontrolled build-up of degradation products, LAUNCH will improve the performance and economics of CO2 capture processes.
More specifically, LAUNCH will:
- Improve knowledge of amine degradation, covering novel chemistries, formulations and tool development
- Develop a publicly available solvent qualification programme that will significantly lower the cost and time for solvent testing
- Apply to all amine solvents, current and future, as well as proprietary solvents
- Provide guidelines on how to de-risk solvent-flue gas combinations
- Accelerate the development of novel solvents and the implementation of CO2 capture across industry
Research outputs from the project will be shared with our stakeholders through a range of events, resources and techniques. These will be tailored to fit the type of output and the target audience.
More About the Project
Management, Dissemination and Exploitation
Closing Degradation Knowledge Gaps
Development of Solvent Qualification Programme
Demonstration of Solvent Qualification Programme
LAUNCH is a three-year EU-funded project aimed at accelerating the implementation of carbon dioxide (CO2) capture across industry and the development of novel solvents to support widespread deployment of carbon capture, utilisation and storage (CCUS). The project began in September 2019 and will run until August 2022.
The primary objective of the LAUNCH project is to accelerate the implementation of CO2 capture across the energy and industry sectors by developing novel solvents and establishing a fast-track, cost-effective de-risking mechanism to predict and control degradation of capture solvents.